Saturday, March 26, 1994

Andrea's second quilt


After the success of my first quilt, I was very excited to start another one. This one, too, was directly inspired by a quilt book, Watercolor Quilts. The quilt is made of 2" squares. Many of the fabrics for this quilt I purchased specifically for this project; some were from my collection. The trick with these is they need to be larger scale prints so you don't get too much of any pattern in any single square.

This quilt was laid out on a sheet in my basement with the help of my cat, Sally. She was always so delicate as she walked across my work laying it all out (very time consuming), but just to be sure, I locked her out every time I was done working. One day when I was about a third of the way through sewing it together, the door got left open, and Sal went down there and tore through it like a Tazmanian Devil. Putting it back was quite the job. But thankfully you can't tell by looking at it which part is which.

The top was machine sewn, with a lightweight polyester batting. I *did* machine quilt this one - around the square, and in a loose wavy curve to highlight the "wreath" in the center of the square. Again, more quilting would have been appropriate, but before I discovered the thin cotton batting, any machine quilting at all was quite a difficult task.

No comments:

Post a Comment